Initially, I planned to have an avocado smoothie recipe up for my first food post, but since there aren’t a lot of avocado fans out there, I’d have to make some alterations to that recipe before sharing it! So for now, you’re getting the next best thing….home-made protein bars!
Last night I uploaded a picture of my protein bars in the making and got a lovely comment saying the mixture looked like poop – nice!
I’ll have you know that it does NOT look like poop, and more importantly, it doesn’t taste like it either! If I’m honest, it’s a lot better than your average protein bar (or chocolate bar for that matter) especially since you control what you put in it so it’s a lot safer as well.
What you need:
- 250g cup of peanut butter
- 85g of oats
- 300g of honey
- 70g cup dried fruit/chocolate chips
- 50g chopped hazelnuts (optional)
- 2 scoops protein powder
Note: You can throw in your favourite seeds and nuts into this mixture, it all comes down to personal preference!
1.Mix the honey and peanut better in a saucepan over a low heat.
2. Add the oats and mix through.
3. Throw in your dried fruit/chocolate chips with nuts and then keep mixing.
4. Add the protein powder (a lot of mixing I know)
5. Flatten the mixture into a greased tin.
6. Cut through and refrigerate overnight.
Tip: Wrap each bar in tin foil and keep them in the fridge – great way to pack them up and bring to work/college
I used to have one of these after the gym, but now I think it makes for a tasty snack- could even work for breakfast as well.
I’m not trying to get ahead of myself here, but my father, (who absolutely ADORES Snickers) told me my protein bars taste like Snickers – I know right! I think this recipe will give Snickers a run for their money – in the health world anyways!
Do have a go at it and let me know what you think, but so far, I’ve had nothing but positive feedback on these
- 10000A non-dairy alternative to milk is something that a lot of people look for- let's face it, with obesity at it's high, and many "unfortunate" enough to be lactose intolerant , everyone is on the look out for healthier alternatives when it comes to food. Of course with the New Year only days away, I'm…