I found out I don’t like him. I was just obsessed with the idea of him, even though I still want him.
A normal person would look at those words and question the mental health of the speaker. But when those words were spoken to me, I had an ‘a ha’ moment.
It made me realise that a lot of the time, women are simply obsessed with the idea they have of someone. Sometimes, we become so hooked on the image we’ve created of our crush that it starts to look a tad bit like an obsession.
So this leaves me with a very legitimate question: do you really like him or are you just obsessed with him?
Here are some telltale signs you may be on the road to the land of obsession:
1. You can’t go a day without checking his Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn (which you purposely set to anonymous) and all the other social media sites you’ve joined to facilitate your stalking.
2. Everything you think you know about him you’ve heard through a third party (in most cases, Facebook).
3. Your social media spying has become a call for concern among your group of friends.
4. Can you even remember the last time you’ve spent time with your friends? Exactly.
5. His name comes up in every conversation (it’s still a mystery how a conversation about milk ends up being a conversation about him).
6. He is your first thing you think of in the mornings and the last thing on your mind before bed. He is basically wrapped up in every single one of your thoughts – and not in a romantic way either!
7. You’ve lost track of the normal things in life like taking a shower (I joke), but you do feel like you’re slacking behind in college/work.
8. You know his group of friends just a little too well (Remember: you were never introduced to them).
9. The words ‘If only he knew how perfect I am for him’ have become something you use on a daily basis.
10. You have continuous thoughts of marriage and what your kids would look like.
11. You seem to be the only person who can see things working between you and him.
12. Your friends tell you you’re obsessed – now if that doesn’t raise the alarm, then I don’t know what else will!