There’s nothing worse than using dirty makeup brushes on your face, first of all it isn’t the most hygienic thing in the world, and secondly you are basically asking for your skin to be terribly irritated (not exactly the best way to Enhance What’s Yours...)
The above picture is what you should avoid doing. You should avoid immersing the head of your makeup brushes into water – pretty sure Bobbi Brown would back me up on that. Since the hairs on the makeup brushes are glued to the base, even the most expensive brushes will come apart if you do this so you should really avoid soaking your makeup brushes into water.
So how do you clean your makeup brushes then?
- Drop a very gentle non-alcoholic soap (preferably baby shampoo) into the palm of your hand
- Swirl the bristles of your makeup brush around your palm after having wet the brush.
- Once covered in soap, rinse thoroughly until all the soap residue is gone.
- Squeeze out any excess moisture out of the bristles.
- To finish up, reshape the brush head with your fingers.
Drying Station: Let your makeup brushes dry flat and hanging off the edge of a counter so the bristles stay into perfect shape.
Note: When you’re drying your makeup brushes do NOT dry them in an upright position, or else the water settles into the glue which holds the bristles together at the base of each brush.
A deep cleaning of your makeup brushes is recommended between once a week or once a month- A bit of a stretch I know, but if you use your brushed regularly then once every 3 weeks. If you don’t use them as often, then you’re not required to wash them as often.
If once a month is far too long for you (or if you just want to be super hygienic), you can give your makeup brushes a quick clean cleaning in between deep washes.
For a quick clean just follow the steps below:
- 1. Spray a makeup brush cleaner on tissue
- 2. Swipe it around and add a few more spritz
- 3. Swipe it up and fourth until all the residues are removed
I’d be lying if I said I did this every time I finished using my brushes, but it’s something I do immediately if my sister used my makeup brush because she forgot hers. Other than that a good clean every 2 weeks just about does it for me!
Hope you’ll make use of this quick lesson, feel free to leave comments below!
Don’t forget to subscribe to Enhance What’s Yours