Finding the right swimsuit is only as difficult as you make it. As cliche as that sounds, take it from someone who probably owns as many swimsuits as she does shoes – okay, maybe that’s a slight exaggeration…but I do own many flattering swimsuits (as my Instagram would probably tell you).
I think the main ingredient to finding swimwear that makes you feel comfortable, sexy and confident is knowing your body shape. Without that knowledge you are destined to fail. Why? Simply because it’s about knowing where you’re packing and where you’re lacking and then having a goal in mind for what you want your bikini to do for you.
I’m no style expert, but it doesn’t take a genius to realise that no two people can pull off the same look – what works for one person, might not work for another. But don’t let that discourage you, there is a bikini out there for everyone, you just have to know what to look for!
So whether you’re a bit heavy on top or want to accentuate your curves, here are my top tips for choosing swimwear that will flatter your body shape and in turn increase your confidence 🙂
10 tips for choosing the right swimwear for your body shape:
1. If you’re a bit busty, always be sure to look for a bikini top with an under wire. Find one that will give you somewhat coverage with a tiny bit of a lift.
2. If you’re not so boobalicious but want to appear so, then try looking for a bikini top with ruffles on them. Ruffles on top help create an illusion of a bigger bust. A padded bikini top also does the trick!
3. If you have a bit of a pot belly and want to make it less visible, then it can always be concealed by wearing a ruched one piece suit. Ruched fabric is key for helping you disguise your stomach by giving it a slimming effect.
4. To downplay your backside, go for dark-coloured briefs or shorts, they will give you all the coverage you need!
5. Not so much junk in your trunk? (welcome to the team) this can be solved with ruffled bottoms as they will give the appearance of volume and a bum. Or putting focus on your upper may take away from people notice where you’re lacking – I’ve got all the tricks 😉
6. Boyish figure types can create the illusion of curves by using a two piece swimsuit with bold prints and feminine details. A one piece with the sides cut out also create an optical illusion of curves.
7. If you have a curvy figure and want to appear slimmer, vertical patterns will help create a thinner torso and draw attention downwards, rather than outwards.
8. To hide areas you don’t want to show in your plus size physique, look for a one piece with little details such as runching, they do wonders!
9. Petite figures can elongate their body with high-cut leg or strings at the side! Also, avoid polka dots and girlie patterns…. unless of course you want to be mistaken for a teen (it happens😑).
10. And last but not least, if you want to avoid the appearance of love handles remember to go for folded bottoms.
Hope you found these tips useful, happy bikini hunting! 🙂