I know, I know – believe you me, I know. I have reached a new low *straight face emoji*
And the reason why I call it a low is because I’ve never been one to use online dating. If anything, I’ve always been the type to secretly judge those who did – let’s be honest now, how could you not be slightly suspicious of someone who is just a little bit too familiar with the workings of Tinder?
Whether it’s done consciously or not, there is an element of judgment when it comes to dating apps such as Tinder or PlentyOfFish. If it’s not ‘she obviously sleeps around,’ it’s ‘she clearly can’t get a man in real life,’ whatever the assumption, it exists.
Now before I dive into this, I think it is important to note that I am neither the former or the latter. My reasons for joining PlentyOfFish stem from pure boredom. That, as well as being a curious cat who is very adamant about not jumping on the Tinder bandwagon.
So one Saturday night (yes, I am quite the hermit ), I decided to put my curiosity to rest and go fishing for what I thought would only be a week, but ended up turning into three…..
Without further ado, here are 12 very important and in some cases, life changing things that I learned from being on PlentyOfFish – because traditional education doesn’t always quite cut it!
1. I miss good old fashion chat up lines
2. If all else fails, I could always be an escort
(A very cheap one, at that)
3. No profile picture gets you no messages
And here I thought POF users actually had a genuine interest in getting to know each other *sigh*
4. Then you upload three and this happens…
It’s like magic!
5. Black girl fetish is a thing
I kid you not…
6. Unless of course, you’re a casual racist
I didn’t think it could get worse either
7. Chancers, chancers, everywhere!
Can’t fault him for not trying…
8. There aren’t enough grammar nazis to save the younger generation
Hy luv wat ye doin? X
9. When a man describes his hair as being ‘mixed colour,’ it usually just means grey….and he’s a fossil
10. Persistence isn’t always key
11. About 90% of POF users are obsessed with coffee and travelling
… I fall into the 10% that isn’t
12. If he can recognise a strong brow game, then he’s a keeper
Or maybe he just has some really good chat up lines? Either way, it’s a shame I can’t say the same for the rest of them….
You say PlentyOfFish, I say Plenty of Fetishes….
DISCLAIMER: I have blurred out the images and usernames in the screenshots to protect user privacy. They are unidentifiable (unless you received the exact same message as me, which in that case, I would have to wish you the best of luck!)
- 59Dating. I’ve never really been a fan of the term. Not only do I think it’s very American, but the word itself makes me incredibly awkward. Whenever I hear the word date, I automatically picture two strangers sitting in close proximity to one another in an often controlled environment: uncomfortable body…